Saying the following comments to a pregnant woman are not, and never will be, a smart thing to do.
- You look like you are due tomorrow! (You're actually due in 3 months)
- When are you due? (June 9th) Wow....you're really....big.
- Are you sure you aren't having twins?
- (Your father to your mother when he thought you were out of earshot) I don't think you were that big at 25 weeks...
- Just wait until other body parts start growing along with your belly!
- It's going to be hard to lose all that weight after you give birth.
- Are you eating enough fruits and vegetables?
- Should you be eating that?
- Are you eating enough? You're eating for two, you know.
- Saying "But you're so cute" immediately after saying, "wow, you're so big!" is not making your first comment any better.
If you decide you just can't help yourself and MUST make a comment like the ones above, be prepared for the following emotional responses. Please note: the woman is PREGNANT. That means hormones.
- Smiling at you, then walking away cursing you under her breath - this is probably the kindest response you could get.
- Walking away before bursting into tears
- Bursting into tears in front of you
- Telling you that she has never heard that one before
- The pregnant woman makes some mean comment back at you such as, "Well, you're not looking too svelte these days either."
While we're on that topic, let's discuss pregnant bellies. Touching the belly of someone you don't know well or someone who is a complete stranger is NOT okay unless they give you their permission and offer it up for rubbing. If you are a stranger, don't be shocked if you reach out to touch my belly and I reach out to touch yours back.
Just so I don't end this on a totally negative note, I thought I would give some feedback on comments I have heard (some over and over again) that are totally okay.
- How are you feeling?
- You look great!
- You can't tell you're pregnant from behind but as soon as you turn around BAM! Baby! In the face! (haha, this one just made me laugh)
- Do you know what you're having? (I can't get enough of telling people we're having a girl)
- Are you sleeping okay?
- The time is just flying by!
- Are you excited? (This one can be taken weird, I know - why wouldn't I be excited? It's still okay to ask, though).
Gratuitous Pregnancy Photo from Week 24 (aka: the week I really popped out):