I decided to make my two favorite dishes with this batch of crab meat - crab dip and crab cakes. I'll post about my crab cakes later this week. This crab dip is an extremely simple recipe that is absolutely delicious. I was using a little less than a 1/2 lb of crab meat, so I baked the crab dip in two ramekins. It was a good amount of crab dip, so we both had leftovers for the next day. I served it with my sad, dense sourdough bread.
I took a total of two pictures of this before we scarfed it down. Bad blogger.
Maryland Crab Dip
1/2 lb jumbo lump crab meat
1 tablespoon horseradish
4oz cream cheese
1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl (I used my small pyrex mixing bowl). Heat for 30 seconds to soften the cheese.
- Add the horseradish and old bay seasoning and whisk together until smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the crab meat into the cream cheese mixture. You want lumps of crab meat in this, they make the dish.
- Spoon mixture into a small baking dish or two ramekins. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and bake at 375 until bubbly. Approx. 15-2 minutes depending on the size of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a little more old bay and serve with warm pita slices or chunks of artisan bread.