I grabbed some soy sauce, hoison sauce, sesame oil, black pepper and dried chili peppers. I marinated asparagus and sliced onions in half of the sauce and 3 steaks in the other half. I grilled the asparagus, onions and steaks after an hour of marinating. While those were cooking, I make some sushi rice. When everything was done, I was trying to figure out the best way to plate everything. I grabbed some bowls out of the cupboard and layered the rice, veggies and steak.
My husband's reaction? "This is FUN!!"
After taking these pictures (and eating the evidence) I realize this would look a lot better with some soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds on top. That would taste pretty good, too!
Asian Steak Bowls
3 medium steaks, approximately 5-6oz each
1/2 lb asparagus
1 head broccoli florets
1/2 onion, sliced
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons dried hot chili peppers
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, peppers and sesame oil.
- Place steaks in a shallow dish and add half of the marinade. Rub the marinade into the steaks . Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the asparagus and onions in a shallow bowl, place the broccoli in another bowl. Add the leftover marinade to both bowls and cover the veggies completely. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cook 1 1/2 cups dry jasmin or sushi rice. Set aside.
- Heat the grill on high. Grill steaks, asparagus and onions over high heat until the veggies are tender and the meat is medium rare.
- While the steaks and other veggies are cooking, steam the broccoli until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Drain and add to a bowl.
- Add the asparagus and onions to the broccoli bowl.
- Slice the steaks to 1/4" thick bite size pieces.
- Grab some deep cereal bowls. Layer the 1/4 of the rice, veggies and steak in the bowl. For extra flavor, drizzle some soy sauce over the top of each bowl and top with sesame seeds.